Monday, April 25, 2022

Introducing the 2022-23 AFP Jay Siwek Medical Editing Fellow: Dr. Jarrett Sell

 - Jennifer Middleton, MD, MPH

It's my pleasure to introduce our 2022-23 Jay Siwek Medical Editing Fellow, Dr. Jarrett Sell, whose fellowship year will begin June 1. Here are some highlights from a recent interview:

1. Tell us a little about yourself.

I grew up in a rural area of Maryland and entered medical school at the University of Virginia with an interest in practicing family medicine in an area of need. After residency in Phoenix, I was able to return to a small town in Virginia where I practiced traditional family medicine without OB for 8 years. Eleven years ago, I made the switch from private practice to academic medicine and have enjoyed the breadth of teaching, scholarship, and clinical practice which has focused on local community needs and marginalized populations, such as those who identify as LGBTQ+ and those affected by HIV.  


2. What got you interested in medical editing and writing? 


As a life-long reader of fiction, nonfiction, and medical journals, I found that medical editing and writing brings together my natural curiosity and passion for teaching.  The American Family Physician (AFP) journal has personally served as an invaluable resource throughout my career as a student, resident, practicing physician, and clinical educator in its clear presentation of evidence-based approaches to care. I started medical writing as I entered academic medicine and found writing to be a great way to dive deeper into clinical topics of interest with a focus on how the current evidence can inform patient care, particularly for primary care providers. I also found that I enjoyed collaborating with students, residents and other faculty with the goal of improving patient care and advocating for better care for marginalized populations.   


3. What are you hoping to get out of the fellowship? 


I look forward to advancing my skills in medical editing, enriching medical education, collaborating to enhance the journal’s innovation, and improving patient care.  I hope to gain a better understanding of the editing process through collaboration with the diverse and experienced AFP team of editors, and I hope to share some of these skills with other learners.  

 

4. Is there anything else you'd like AFP readers to know about you? 


Outside of work I enjoy live music, reading, time with family, getting outdoors to hike, ski and boat, and I have recently restarted playing tennis after last playing seriously over 20 years ago.   


Welcome to AFP, Dr. Sell!