Monday, August 31, 2020

Introducing the 2020-2021 AFP Jay Siwek Medical Editing Fellows: Dr. Joanna Drowos

Jennifer Middleton, MD, MPH

It's my pleasure to introduce the first of our 2020-2021 Jay Siwek Medical Editing Fellows, Dr. Joanna Drowos, whose fellowship year began on June 1. Here are some highlights from a recent interview with Dr. Drowos:

1. Tell us a little about yourself and your background.

I grew up in Toronto Canada, my family moved to South Florida when I was in high school. I went to University of Miami for my undergraduate degree (huge Canes fan) and then Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine for my DO and MPH degree. I chose an Osteopathic medical school and spent an extra year there completing a fellowship in Osteopathic Principles and Practice. I love using Osteopathic manipulation in my practice. I completed both family medicine and preventive medicine residency programs. I worked for our local county health department as the medical director for our communicable disease clinic before joining the faculty at FAU’s Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine. I direct our Family Medicine Clerkship using an LIC model, and I also serve as the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs.

 

LICs are longitudinal integrated clerkships. When medical students spend 4 weeks in an office, they may see a patient once or twice. When they are there for a longer time, in our case a year, they get to know patients better, see diseases progress, and earn trust to participate in their care. Many studies show educational outcomes are as good as those from traditional clerkships (evaluations and scores on standardized tests) however students demonstrate less “ethical erosion” or loss of empathy toward patients.

 

I use Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy as part of our Integrative Medicine practice. I am certified by both the ABFM and the AOBFP, and I spent an extra year in medical school completing a fellowship in Osteopathic Principles and Practice. I use these hands-on-techniques to move a patient’s muscles and joints using techniques that include stretching, gentle pressure, and resistance to relieve dysfunctions in the body. Many of my patients suffer with chronic pain, and I like to offer them an alternative other than prescription medications. My partner in the practice offers eastern practices such as acupuncture, cupping, traditional Chinese medicine, as well as micronutrient therapy.

 

2-3. What got you interested in medical editing and writing? What are you hoping to get out of the fellowship?

I really enjoy writing for scholarly purposes and was drawn to the medical editing fellowship because I feel it will make me a better author and critical reviewer for my colleagues. I want to develop my skills as both a reviewer and editor this year and feel grateful for the opportunity to be a part of the journal’s editorial team.

 

4. Is there anything else you'd like AFP readers to know about you?

I’ve been married to my husband Bryan for 16 years, we have 2 children, Lila (9) and Jackson (8), and a rescue dog named Coco. We love to travel and will spend some of our COVID time exploring in our new RV. I enjoy reading, visiting art museums, and attending live theater (you will have to ask me for the story about the Tony award).